In January, 2009, the Kentucky Press Association membership approved adding an online publication/newspaper membership division. The recommendation to the membership included the following:
There is also established the Online Publications membership within this division. Online Publications may apply for membership in the Kentucky Press Association after being in business for the previous 12-month period. To be eligible for membership in the Online Newspaper/Publication category, an online publication:
- must have been published for the previous 12-month period;
- must be updated no less than one time each week;
- must be principally devoted to the dissemination of original local or general news and other news content, with a minimum of 25 percent of overall content;
- must be available to the general public on the World Wide Web;
- must not serve primarily as a platform to promote the interest and/or opinions of a special interest group, individual or cause;
- must have a known Kentucky-based office of publication, open to the public, where business or publication is transacted, have a local telephone number and must include contact information in each updated publication;
- must abide by copyright laws.
Online publications must apply to the Kentucky Press Association for membership and must be approved by the Board of Directors. Individual online publications shall have no voting privileges in Kentucky Press Association business matters. Dues for Online Publications/Newspapers are the same as established by the Board of Directors for annual KPA Associates Division dues. Voting Members with an online publication will automatically be included in this membership division as long as they meet and maintain criteria a. through g. above. Dues for Online Publications of Full Members will be waived.
A motion was made, seconded and then approved by the membership.
We invite you to apply to be an Online Publication/Newspaper member of the Kentucky Press Association. Simply complete each area, check the required statements at the bottom to indicate compliance with the requirements and then click “Apply for Membership.”
When received by KPA, your application will be reviewed and if approved for membership, you will receive a statement for dues. Dues are based on the same rate for Associate Division members, currently $450 per year. Membership involves all services and benefits of other member newspapers, excluding the right to vote on business matters. Most all services are included with membership at no additional cost. We will also be developing an Online Publication/Newspaper contest and you will be eligible to participate in that contest.
If you have any questions about the application, about benefits and services or need more information about the Kentucky Press Association, please contact me at email@example.com or by phone, (502) 223-8821.
We look forward to welcoming you into membership in the Kentucky Press Association.