Paxton Media Group
Paxton Media Group is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Editor at the to lead all aspects of news gathering, reporting, feature writing, photography and other information content activities of the Carrollton News Democrat, Trimble Banner and Owenton News Herald for print and online audiences.
The editor is personally responsible for news gathering, reporting, feature writing and photography content, while effectively supervising a staff reporter and coordinating correspondent and stringer coverage assignment with a motivating passion for quality community journalism.
These publications serve a combined audience in Carrollton, Bedford and Owenton, Kentucky and surrounding markets. The newspapers operate from the offices of the Madison Courier in Madison, Indiana. The position offers competitive compensation to the right candidate, including an attractive benefits package including optional medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) and paid time off benefits.
- Experience as editor of a similarly sized community newspaper preferred.
- 3-5 years experience as a community newspaper reporter or equivalent required.
- Demonstrated high ethical conduct and standards.
- Proven record of sound judgment in newsroom content and coverage decision-making.
- Proven ability to work independently with minimal supervision while effectively coordinating multiple news coverage projects and assignments on deadline and on budget.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and ability to bring staff members together to achieve a common goal.
- Excellent writing and editing skills using computerized newspaper content management system.
Responsibilities & Essential Functions:
- Responsible for growing the net paid circulation of the newspaper through the publication of compelling news and information.
- Write compelling, accurate and timely news and information features for publication in the weekly newspaper and special publications of the business unit.
- Actively recruit and train competent and effective community correspondents and stringers.
- Edit, proofread and prepare for pagination all staff and submitted content.
- Write for publication a weekly or otherwise frequent editorial and column.
- Update news and information for publication on the newspaper’s website.
- Maintain a publicly accessible posture for readers and other community stakeholders on news and editorial matters.
- Actively participate in various community functions and events. Take a leadership role in the community.
Interested persons may contact Chris Ordway, Group Publisher, Paxton Media Group.
Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com